Friday, January 15, 2010

We Are the World?

And now what you all have been waiting for. . . . A little bit of contoversy

Here is what those of you who know me, or have known me are saying. "Yes, we know Randy tries hard to emulate Mister Rogers, and tries to inspire others to become the most fulfilled person they can, and he is OBSESSED with changing the way people teach, learn, and have fun, as well as the whole "Niceness Initiative," . . . . but we also know that Randy has "unique" opinions about politics, pop culture, and other topics.

So here it is.

We all grew up seeing the kids in the villages with distended stomachs, flies on their faces, and no food. Generation after generation of poor villagers procreating - perpetuating an already seemingly unsurmountable situation. Sally Struthers telling us that "For the price of a cup of coffee, we can feed this child." Gameshow legend Bob Barker (ironic last name) would remind us to spay and neuter our pets, to avoid over population. Why were we not, in addition to feeding these children, providing the adults and the future adolescents with birth control and/or spaying and neutering services (no, I do not think they are animals, so don't read anything into that - but you get my point).

Let's pull out another old cliche - "Give a man a fish and you feed him for today, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." How much of that coffee money was going into teaching people how to fish? How much of that coffee money was going into the production of those commercials and buying the airtime? We have been seeing those commercials for decades. Where are the kids we fed in the 70's? Are we feeding their kids and their grandkids?

Why am I writing about this? Haiti. I feel horrible for the tragedy that has befallen the island. I am also a big proponent of helping my fellow man (or animal). My wife and I have tried to raise our girls to think of others. They have a donate box that they put their change in, and they have started their own knitting club to raise money for the ASPCA. We donate to various charities and realize how fortunate we are. I wanted to preface that before my next statement.

So. . . I am assuming, since we are all jumping to donate money to Haiti that everything is fixed and back to normal in Louisiana. The mess from Katrina has been cleaned and everyone is back in their homes. I assume, since we are sending food to Haiti, that our homeless people have all been placed in a home and no children will go hungry tonight. I assume, since we are donating money to Haiti, that our unemployment rate has dropped and we have solved our "recession."

I feel bad for the people of Haiti, but the United States, according to 2009 statistics is the 6th - (SIXTH) check it again. . . . SIXTH!! wealthiest country in the world. Why are we jumping to help, and our own people are still hurting? Why are we feeding the world, and our own kids are hungry? Why are we fixing other disasters and we haven't completed fixing our own? I appreciate that in New York City there are 125,000 Haitian-Americans. However, in a country of 300 million people, that does account for .04% - that is four percent of one percent of the population.

I get Wycleff doing what he does. It is HIS country. . . . but George Clooney and Brad/Angelina. . .? . . . .timely PR? How about a telethon for America, George?

For that matter. . . how about IDOL GIVES BACK. . . to the U.S.?? It is called American Idol and they were building schools and providing supplies for village kids in a third-world country. That country has no budget, no income, no means of feeding its own people? If not, I am sorry, but we obviously don't have enough to take care of our own too. . . . .Or do they choose to spend their money on other items and expect the free ride from the Patsy. . . Ooops. . .I mean "Nice" American people who don't seem to receive the respect that we deserve worldwide.

I have an idea. . . .let's fix the roof on our own house before we plug the holes in our neighbors', who I don't see reciprocating.

Deep breath. . . . taking a deep breath. . . . Ok. . .

Harry Chapin is one of my greatest influences as a musician, songwriter, and humanitarian. He could really tell a story, and was very intimate with his audience. What a lot of people don't realize is that he would donate just about every other concert to charity. He was the founder of World Hunger Year, which a couple years after his untimely death, was the springboard for USA for Africa - you remember. . . .music please. . . "We are the World . . . We ARE the children" (sung as Bruce Springsteen with Ray Charles waiting in the wings. . .LOL) I believe what he stood for was noble and altruistic.

But even when I was in high school and we would make believe we were each of the singers in the U.S.A for Africa music video, I would think to myself "Why are we feeding Africa, when we have hungry and homeless of our own?"

Now , at the 25th anniversary of the legendary release of We Are the World, we are still sending money and food overseas, and there are still hungry Americans. . . .There are still farmers being paid not to grow crops. . . .ponderous.

Instead of food and money, lets send some fishing rods and some seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment