Monday, January 24, 2011

An "Impactful" life.

I know. .. Impactful is not a real word. It is coming up on everyone's spellcheck alert, but it is the most concise way of describing today's message.

I found out this morning, while listening to the Howard Stern Show, about the death of one of my life's icons, Jack LaLanne. Those who know me, are expecting me to blog about this. Those who REALLY know me, are expecting me to be very hurt by this, as if I have lost a family member.

Truth is, just like in life, his passing has inspired me. Unlike Mister Rogers, who I never had the opportunity to meet, I spent three days with Jack LaLanne, at a time in my life that I was approaching a crossroad. We spent three days eating healthy, talking about fitness, and more importantly, the impact we have on others. It is a happenstance meeting that had a great impact on how I continue to live my life.

I told him my story of the educator-turned struggling producer, and my dream of helping make the world a better place. He patiently listened and asked questions, then said to me "You are doing the right thing. All my life I have just worried about helping others, and the rest has fallen in place." He said that with an earnestness and sincerity that brought a calm over me, at a time where I was doubting the craziness of what I was doing.

Five years and four Emmy nominations later, I find myself at the same crossroad. As always, I have several irons in the fire, and work and live at a pace that must be very tiring to watch (although it is invigorating to live) or for my wife to live with (a real saint). I have so many things I still want to accomplish as an educator, as a family man, as a creative producer, as an American.

I see the problems plaguing our education system, and I have a real plan for how to fix it. I see the problems in our governmental system, and I also have a real plan of how to fix that. I see garbage on TV and feel that there has to be a wholesome alternative that people want to watch and experience. Most importantly, I have an AWESOME wife and two daughters and want to experience every minute of their lives with them. So you see why I am always running so hot.

So I take pause today to remember the words of the man I was so fortunate to have met - and experience his energy firsthand. It makes me think of a quote from Jackie Robinson: "A Life is not important, except for the impact it has on others." Jack LaLanne preached that we should all "Work and Live Vigorously," and he did so in an "Impactful" way - a way that left a great impact on how I, as well as others live our lives.

So I will continue to dream of leaving a legacy like Jack did, and maybe someday I will be given the opportunity he had to affect global change. Maybe someone will really, truly want to make change and I will get the opportunity to implement my plans for education, entertainment, or for government. In the meantime, I will continue to try my hardest to have an impact on the most important passion in my life - my wife and my girls.

Thank you Jack for having an impact.
Your presence might be missed, but your spirit will live on.

Who will YOU impact today?

No comments:

Post a Comment