Monday, January 3, 2011

Don't Resolve - EVOLVE

It is resolution time again. People are pumped up and motivated to change their lives, better themselves, and take on the world. For the next week we will see people eating better, maybe being nicer, walking around sore (because they resolved to exercise more and are feeling the effects of an inactive 2010) or actually showing up to work on time. Many of us claim "This is the year when ______".

Invariably, this does not last. People are creatures of habit and will soon grow tired or overwhelmed by their new resolutions and fall back into the same routines they were dissatisfied with the previous years.

There is a way to break this cycle, and that is to NOT make a resolution. Resolutions are so absolute that they are unrealistic in their actual attainment. Also, when you do veer off your resolution, you are most likely going to say "Well, that was that - good try on my part" and fall back into the old habits and eventually become disappointed in yourself. A vicious cycle that seems to repeat itself year after year.

The solution is simple - don't resolve. . . evolve. Take your goals not in absolution of a resolution, but in smaller attainable goals, allowing you to take baby steps over the period of the year and bank positive actions. Not unlike the recovering addict - Alcohol, food, drugs, etc. - live your life one day or period at a time. If you are trying to lose weight, take it one meal at a time. Trying to get fit? . . .one day at a time. Trying to read more. . .one page at a time. Before you know it, you will have attained a collection of positive actions and if you miss a day or two, you can easily start again.

Subscribe to this evolution process - slow growth over time - and before you know it, you will have demonstrable growth.

Last year, I had "resolved" to write more and blog. I started out strong and petered out in the end. When I reflected on my year, I was pleased to see that I had shared 31 blogs - some insightful, some silly, and some a bit out there. Nonetheless, that is 31 more blogs or public writings than I did the year before. I am proud of myself for that achievement - not disappointed over the frequency. This year, I will try to do it more frequently.

At the very least, this is entry number one. Next time I have something to say, I will then write again. . . no pressure. . . just progress.

Happy New Year.
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment