Saturday, February 6, 2010

What's in a name?

The family and I are about to adopt a dog from our local shelter. I have been campaigning for a dog forever. We had Jasmine for 13 years, and after we lost her 4 years ago we went into mourning. We got our 10 year old a bunny (she was 6 then) and five months later we rescued two cats, Simba and Nala. I am no historically a cat guy, but I LOVE my cats. They are quirky and silly, but a cat is not the same thing as a dog.

Anyway, I have been searching for a couple months, and just recently we went as a family to meet a couple dogs. This week, the wonderful people at Mount Pleasant Animal Shelter met my family and interviewed me regarding the type of dog we wanted. The MOST important thing was that the candidate must get along with cats.

I was going into a meeting on Thursday night and my iPhone started barking. It was Jenn from the shelter calling (I gave them their own ringtone - what a nerd). She told me that she had gotten in from a high-kill shelter a couple candidates that met our requirements. I went the following afternoon and wanted to take her home with me instantly. We cat tested her and we tested her with other dogs. Her first tests were passed with flying colors. Afterwards we hung out and she just chilled by my leg for about an hour.

So I went home armed with some digital photos and showed my wife and then the girls. Her shelter name is Fiona, and I wanted to name her Billie - after the invisible dog on the A-Team, but that was meant to be. What followed was an insane obsession by our daughters (I wonder where they get that from? I guess they had to get something from me) trying to rename their prospective new family member.

It was easier naming our daughters.
How about:
Lacy, Dixie, or Trixie: Where's the stripper pole?
Ethel, Millie, Ester, or some other grandma name? =)
Peyton: why not Montana or Favre?
Hershey: Highway or squirts?
PLUS most of us know an Emma, Zoe, Abby, Jessie, Holly, etc. So you don't want people to think you were naming it after them (some might not find it complimentary)

So I decided to put it up on the FaceBook to see what we get back.

Naming your pet is more of a reflection on the family than it is on the dog. I think that what people name their pets says a lot about them. What does your pets' name say about you? Think about it. Did you name it after a favorite cartoon character, flower, month, time of year, ballplayer, . . . ? I find it to be a fun thing to think about as well as to think about those who you are friends and family with.

No comments:

Post a Comment