Friday, February 12, 2010

Bringing In A New Pet - Part 2

I will title this entry - "Welcome to Insanity"

Well. . . we got our first family puppy. We adopted it from a wonderful shelter in East Hanover, NJ - Mt. Pleasant Animal Shelter. I couldn't recommend them any more confidently or say enough wonderful things about them as an organization. If you want a new pet, call them: njshelter.com. Holly, the name we finally agreed upon - after Billie, Magic, Casey, Mystic, Lucky (for obvious reasons - people should call ME lucky now) and a collection of names recommended by family, friends, and FaceBook friends - was brought in from a high-kill shelter in Maryland.

After her first two days with us, she might have opted for the fate of staying in Maryland =)

To say that our children are a little excited, would be like saying Shaq is a little tall. Between our girls trying to train them like they see Victoria Stilwell do on Animal Planet, the two cats, $100 worth of toys that the kids want to teach her to play with all at once, and two snow days, Holly's first days have been a bit busy to say the least.

If she doesn't develop a twitch, it will be amazing to me.


As I write this, she is snuggling and snoring on
her rainbow bed at the Nightstand Creation offices, worn out and thrilled that the kids are at school.

We have had some luck regarding the cats. Nala hissed at Holly, but kept her claws in, and Simba came by for a little Catnip fix and got within 18 inches of Holly. I am not sure at this time if they will all be buddies, but I can tell you that I feel pretty confident that Holly does not view them as playthings. She whines and howls (I think there is a little hound in her family tree) for ten minutes at night then goes to sleep right away in the crate. The cats are back upstairs with us and are terrorizing our feet as if nothing has changed. With Holly being only 3.5 months old, we are still trying to find a pee-pee rhythm, so we have had a handful of accidents. I am glad we waited to get the new rugs and furniture. All in all, progress is being made and we are loving her more and more every minute.

Today I put her car harness on and belted her into the car to do morning drop off and bring her into the office with me, which will probably be a very common thing. She was awesome in the car and did not get nervous at all. By the end of the trip, she was curled up on the seat and enjoying Barry Manilow's Weekend in New England =)

I know what you are all saying. . .Rainbow bed, Manilow. . . .You are all correct, I'm bringing her up right! Enlightened, and exposed to the finer things. . . Giddyup!

I'll report on her progress again next week sometime. My next blog will be back to the normal randomness of Parenting, Education, Media, and the like.

Until then. . . .Woof. . . I mean, Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment